Prescription orthotics look like insoles, but are custom made to correct your specific foot imbalance. Orthotics reduce stress and strain on your body by bringing your feet back into proper alignment.
If you suffer from chronic back, shin splints, arch or heel pain, it could be a result of compromised foot mechanics. Improper foot mechanics, such as flat feet, may affect how you walk and place stress on your ankles, knees and hips, resulting in low back pain. Custom orthotics (shoe inserts) may be prescribed to correct your foot mechanics, and are covered by many private insurance plans.
Test your need
If you agree with any of the statements below, you may benefit from a custom orthotic.
- My feet are sore on a regular basis
- I spend a good portion of my day standing or walking on hard surfaces
- I play a sport regularly (tennis, golf, basketball, etc.)
- Standing, walking or running gives me joint pain (ankles, knees, hip or back)
- One of my legs in short than the other
- My shoes wear out quickly or unevenly
- My feet “toe out” when I walk